Google defines a word cloud as “an image composed of words used in a particular text or subject, in which the size of each word indicates its frequency or importance.” The word cloud above is from a 1991 report where my sister interviewed my grandpa about his service in the United States Army during WWII. By looking at the image, you will notice certain words are larger and bolder because they appear more frequently in the report.
Word Clouds are a fun way to introduce a topic or lesson. It’s also a visual way to showcase students’ feelings or reactions to an activity or worldly event.
To create a Word Cloud, follow the below steps:
- Open a file that contains text
- Add the Word Cloud Generator by clicking on Add-ons ⇒ Get Add-ons
- Click on Add-ons. Select Word Cloud Generator. You can select either Classic or Modern style
- The Word Cloud Generator window pane will open to the right. If you do not like the design, click on Refresh.
- To save, click on the Download button. You will be able to insert the Word Cloud into another Doc, Slide, Drawing, or print file
Here’s a little video of the steps:
Google Certified Trainer